nedelja, 18. april 2010

Testing Google Chrome: translate toolbar

Since my Mozzila Firefox browser became quite slow when opening it up (this is probably a result of using and installing several Firefox, Google and even some academic gadgets like Zotero) I have therefore wanted to try some other free browser and chose Google Crome in the end. After really easy downloading and installing it took me not more than 2 minutes to try it out. I was amazed by the simplicity of Google Crome and several new gadgets that Crome includes. The one I found most interesting is translate toolbar that always appears when opening new tab. And how does it work? When the language of the webpage you're viewing is different from your preferred language setting, Chrome will display a prompt asking if you'd like the page to be translated for you using Google Translate tool in just a few seconds. Here is also a video of such service provided: These kinds of services are revolution in www, while one can now view and surf through completely foreign web pages originally posted in languages you would never dare to access because of the language barrier. One can now easily surf Chinese, Korean, Arabic or Russian web sites if he wants so. Sharing ideas, views and opinions is therefore widening which contributes to increased cooperation and understanding of other nations, languages and even cultures.Google Crome and its gadgets are therefore a living proof of new technologies tearing walls and barriers that seemed unbreakable even few years ago.

2 komentarja:

  1. Wow! That's really great, thanks for sharing it. I tried it on the website http://www.khazars.com/ where most is written in Cyrillic alphabet and it was just like you wrote. Chrome immediately noteced that it's not written as my preferred language setting is and asked me if I want it to be translated. It translated the text in a second. It's not in perfect slovene, but you can understand everything.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. But still...it is not a perfect slovene as you said. I am really bothered with that. All translators are perfect if you want to use them for the single word, but when it comes to the whole sentances, the story is not so perfect. A lot needs to be done in the future. There are so many different languages and it is hard to capture everything from sintax to grammar and beyond. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that Chrome is bad stuff, I am just wondering if it ever be perfect.

    OdgovoriIzbriši