nedelja, 18. april 2010

Books vs. digital(ization)

With digitalisation of books will books as we know them still exist? In 15 years time, will there still be any bookstores? How is it with “old school” books in 21st century? It may seem that nowadays people want to have access to almost every sort of information through world wide web and other new medias, but is it really so?

In this post I will try to focus on relationship between new Medias that could be identified as a supplement to books and discuss some relevant dilemmas regarding above emphasized issues.

I found most interesting statistics on-line saying that, more than three billion books are sold annually in America alone. In comparison, the sales numbers of e-readers and tablet computers are puny. Amazon, the world's biggest online retailer, will only sell an estimated three million of its Kindle this year (which is a sort of Wireless reading device). The iPad, Apple's touch-screen tablet, which doubles as an e-reader and will go on sale on April 3rd, will most likely do better. But the device's sales will still be dwarfed by those of global bestsellers, such as the Harry Potter tales, of which more than 400m copies have been bought globally.

We can therefore say that bookstores and publishers may be hurting, but this does not mean that the book itself is in trouble, at least not immediately. For one, its physical incarnation will not disappear any time soon. People have grown up reading paper books and will not abandon their habits easily. And e-readers and similar devices are still no match for the technology known as the book. By using these new reading devices and technologies one is limited with the capacity of the battery for example. We can even say that digital technology is strengthening, not weakening the book. Historically speaking, new ways to distribute books have often led to innovations. As books began to be bought mainly in retail rather than borrowed from libraries in the 19th century, for instance, this caused the switch from multiple-volume to single-folio novels. Similarly, e-readers are likely to trigger a wave of innovation in books such as works that mix text and audiovisual content and short-form e-books. Books will also be more easily available-and not just in digital form. Thanks to new printing technology, books can now be cheaply produced on demand. In 2008, the latest year for which statistical data (that I mentioned) are available, about 285,000 titles were printed on demand or in short runs-for the first time more than by conventional printing. So regarding just discussed – can we really say that “old school” books are disappearing? I wouldn’t dare to claim so.

3 komentarji:

  1. Well... I totally agree with the opinion that old school books are not disappearing. Speaking for myself: I use both e-books, and the traditional paper ones. The divison for me is clear- as for the academic reading, which recently I have to do so much, I prefer e-version. Firstly, cause it is faster to access it and easier to store, for example by using softwares such as Mendeley.
    On the other hand, I cannot imagine reading for pleasure (not for academic purposes;) using my computer or any other electronic device. It is completely different experience and for sure it is better for the eyesight.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. It’s not the right time yet for disappearing of “old school” books and actually I hope it will never be. Technology is still not developed yet, well as I know new ways of sharing e-books. I agree with Sylwia it’s easier to read short academic articles online, but I can not imagine reading a novel on my computer. Maybe I could read only poetry online. I hope that in the future technology will develop in the way that we will be able to find book we are interested in on the Internet and then read it on an electronic device as big as usual size of a book with a really good screen, which wouldn’t make my eyes hurt after two hours of reading. It would have a lot of advantages, like immediately getting what you need or want and carry it around. I think that reading books in “old school” manner is not only a habit. It has its own special charms. For years yet I search for most books I would like to read through virtual library www.cobiss.si, but I still love it the most when I have time to go to library and just walk around all those books, discovering new things and usually find some really impressive book, or if I turn it around, book finds me. It’s the same in bookstores; you always find something what you wouldn’t search online and you would never find. For me, reading is not only absorbing knowledge, it’s more an aesthetic experience and e-books can not substitute or even come close to that.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I agree with both of the previous comments. I too use book and e-books in the same mannor as Sylwia and Petra do - electronic book for my study purposes and ''ordinary'' books for my own pleasure. Could you imagine going to the beach with your laptop? I know that we live in a world where you can't live without technology and different electronic devices, but some things should stay as they were from the beginning. Petra has a point when saying that reading is a kind of aestetic experience, something to get your mind off your daily work and experiences, so why would you want to do something you already have to do on a regular basis - stare at a computer? So no, I don't think ''old school'' books will dissapear anytime soon.

    OdgovoriIzbriši